Thursday, November 12, 2009

Finding "You" Time

This picture is a few weeks ago at Lake Powell. I took time to chill back, look at the lake and cuddle with my dog. Not doing a thing!

I used to work crazy hours...up at 3:30 or 4:30 every morning to either get my workout in before I had to work or taking clients at insane times of the morning to fit their schedules. I was getting max 6 hours of sleep every night, working 12-14 hour days, and pushing myself in workouts in between. I was living on meal replacements (bars and drinks) during the middle of my day and running myself into the ground. I LOVE to help people get stronger and healthier, but while I was trying to help as many people as I could, at 26 years old my body was on empty!

My life has drastically changed in the last year or so from the long days in the gym to finding balance in my life. With the help of my family and my boyfriend, Marcus, I needed to make more time for me. I still LOVE my job as a personal trainer and don't want to trade that for the world, but I am lucky to have found balance in my life at such a young age. I am lucky to have realized how important work/life balance is for one's well-being.

Being on both sides of this issue, I am able to relate to people who think that they don't have time for exercise and health in their life. I know what it's like to feel like you have to be working all the time and making your business better and giving, giving, giving. I know the toll that takes on a body too.

I encourage you to sit back, reflect on your daily/weekly life. Think about family/friends time, personal time, work time, leisure time, sleep time, etc. Prioritize the things in your life and then adjust your schedule to fit those priorities. I can tell you that once you start to put yourself and the ones you love in front of your work, your work will actually improve too. The happier you are, the healthier you are, the more successful you'll be.

Today is a direct reflection on how my life has changed...

5:30am - woke up energized and ready to hit the gym to get people in shape
6-8:15am - loved my job training a few clients and showing them that they are stronger than they were yesterday.
8:15-9:45am - My own workout time:
Elliptical 10 min WU, DROM
x20,15,10,5 reps on each exercise
Pullups/Push Jerks/Tricep Pullover/Narrow Pushups/Back Extensions/Sprint 1 min
Run hilly route for 4 miles
Stretch
10-11:30am - Tea with a dear friend that I haven't seen for a year. Had the best time!
12-1:30pm- Finished my book "The Art of Racing in the Rain" while throwing the ball for my dog.
1:30-now - Been working on online training/marketing/updating websites/networking
Plans tonight...
- Watch an episode of "House" with Marcus (we love that show)
- Take Ziggy for a walk
- Dinner
- Indoor Soccer Game tonight!!!!

Life is about balance. I know that every day isn't going to be exactly balanced and that some days will be more fun than others, but you HAVE to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone else!

Here's to YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment